September 4, 2012

First day of Kindergarten

The end of the world as we know it. Welcome to the real world. Also aceptable titles for this post.

What a roller coaster ride it has been for us me to get Kayla myself ready for this BIG day. I had thought that by the time Kayla was ready for school I would've been ready for her to go, that it would've felt like she had been home with us forever, but it really does feel like we just brought her home from the hospital! I do need to realize that I get a little sentimental about the passage of time, and that's okay. We had more frequent and longer periods of cuddle time all day Monday in anticipation of this day. I took comfort in knowing, from friends also with Kindergarteners, that I was not the only mom feeling this way.

The ride began with uncertainty back in the early spring as we began the process of deciding which school Kayla would attend - our public elementary school or the charter school. It felt like - and was, really - a monumental decision. Both were full day schedules and within a mile of home, so it would come down to our level of comfort with the curriculum, administration and atmosphere of each school. After months of interviewing, touring and deciding, we landed on Michigamme, our public school. After that, my ride took a short detour through sadness during Pre-School Graduation, then the ride led to excitement as we attended Kindergarten Round-up and a school Open House in late spring. Kindergarten was really happening! That excitement gave way to anticipation during the summer thinking about the new unknown world we were all about to step into. Then.... then... the ride came crashing down exactly seven days before school started. The tears started flowing uncontrollably. I was one who never understood the stories of moms that dropped their child off at Kindergarten and cried. I thought it was a little over-the-top and I would not be one of those moms. I was shaping up to be one of those moms, only my tears were starting an entire week early. Would I really be a mess for the entire week leading up to, and including, the first day of school?! Please, no.

My turning point came with three days to spare. I made a conscious decision to be happy and embrace this next chapter of life. Kayla was, so why shouldn't I?! Everything we've prepared Kayla for, and everything we needed to have happen for her to be ready, is. She is an eager quick learner, she is not sad to be away from us, not nervous to be surrounded by unfamiliar faces in an unfamiliar setting, loves to make new friends, listens and follows directions well, and can communicate her thougths and feelings. This new stage of life is a little bittersweet because although we've prepared her to take her first steps of independence, it means she is losing a little more dependency on us.
And so, here we are. The first day of Kindergarten! It was a stormy morning, but it didn't affect our spirits!
Off Khloe and I went to have a great quiet day of snuggling together. I think Khloe will enjoy her peace and quiet since she will not be getting mauled all day by two bigger girls! The day went by fast with a little retail therapy to get me through, plus lots of "checking-in" phone calls from Aaron to "see how I was doing".
Sending your big sister off to Kindergarten is exhausting
Kayla said it was a great first day of school, that there was only one boy who was bad (he cried and didn't listen), she shared one of her chips with the girl sitting next to her at lunch, today was gym class and tomorrow is computer class. Let this be the start of a GREAT first year of school! God is good!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment