June 14, 2013

Last day!

Kindergarten? A success! Officially a first grader? How did this happen? We always have people telling us  "enjoy them while they're little/enjoy these years, it goes by so fast". I knew this to be true, but man! School makes it go by even faster! Now I can truly understand how fast a year can go! How can Kindergarten be done, forever, already?

Graduation Day Certificate:
Age: 5 3/4
Teacher: Mrs. Prout
Favorite color : hot pink
Favorite subject: playing with Gabby
Favorite lunch: pizza
What I want to be when I grow up: Balrena (bal-r-e-na) Techer
 Last day of school
Twenty-one adorable, sweet Kindergartners
We are so proud of how well Kayla did in her first year of school! According to Kayla's Progress Report, Kayla is at the top of her class in Math and above all her classmates in Reading (these are the only two core subjects they assess). Mrs. Prout said kids should be reading at Level 5 and Kayla is at Level 16. She reads chapters books to us in bed every night. It blows our mind how much she learned this year!
 The last day of school started much like the first day of school - grey, overcast, misty, cool. Thanks a lot summer. What would this mean for the plans that called for being outdoors the entire morning, playing, having snacks and a pizza party? Instead, the four Kindergarten classes rotated between classrooms doing different activities and by lunchtime it was nice enough to go outside. We had a fun picnic pizza party, even Khloe had fun too!
Here's the Wonder Woman who spent 6.5 hours of her day, every day, with our five year old and twenty other five and six year olds teaching them how to be good citizens, readers, spellers and playmates! She is truly an Angel! 
I can't count how many weekends this past year Kayla would randomly say "I miss Mrs. Prout", and she truly meant it. Even yesterday, after school was officially over, she said it a couple of times too. Kayla said "I wish there were one hundred thousand million more days of school!"
Next year we have Mrs. Raymo to look forward to!
 Missy and I took the girls for an End of School Ice-Cream Treat Celebration!
"Addie! Close your mouth. Don't stick out your tongue."
 Oh great. Someone else thinks that's a funny trick too. "Khloe, don't stick out your tongue!"
 Oh well, it's the last day of school, what do you expect?!
How did Kayla spend her first day of school break? Working in her Handwriting Letter Book completing page after page. Kayla said "Mom, let's do home school. Let's start tomorrow". Aaron and I just smiled. She's not even done with school for a few hours and she's already talking about more school!
We will miss Mrs. Prout, and some of our friends, but I can't say I'll miss school! I can't believe we don't have to pick out outfits at night anymore, unpack backpacks and go through folders, do homework, clean out lunchboxes, pack a lunch every night, worry about baths (not that we'll stop bathing all together), have to stop playing outside to get to bed on time... we get to sleep in, "be lazy" (according to Kayla) because it's summer now! 
Next on our agenda... Sporties All Stars, tennis and swimming start next week, packing for our 9-day trip to the family reunion and Iowa, getting ready for Kayla's birthday party, and then it'll be July already! Summer barely started and already it needs to slow down!

1 comment:

  1. Since when does Kayla no longer love blue!? Love her favorite subject. I'm sad she doesn't want to be a nurse anymore.

    ReplyDelete