September 3, 2013

First grader

Kayla was soooooo excited for her first day of school! She was not anxious or nervous about it in the least bit. She jumped out of bed a half hour early without us having to wake her and surprised us by coming fully dressed and ready to go in our room. For the last 45 minutes of the morning she wore her backpack around - full of every school supply we had purchased - during breakfast, getting Khloe up, brushing her teeth. I asked if she wanted to take it off... "Nope." Day One was going well!
Once again, I was reminded today about how quickly time passes by.  

I got to hold Kayla's hand as we walked into school because she wanted us to. I got to walk her to the door and into her classroom because she wanted me to. I got to hang out in her classroom for awhile and then give her a kiss goodbye because she wanted me to. It is not lost on me how truly precious those moments are. I saw many friend's Facebook posts on the first day of school about how their child was "too cool" for first day of school photos, for being walked to the bus stop, for being walked into school. I panic thinking about how soon that might be Kayla! I say "might" because there's a possibility that she will always love for me to take her first day of school photo and walk her into school holding her hand. "Have a great Senior year, honey!"

Right? Okay, so probably not.

Before she realizes that its "not cool" for your mom to take your first day of school photo, and before she realizes that she doesn't need me to walk her into her classroom, I'll keep doing it, just like I did today.
Isn't she getting so big?! You must automatically grow an inch overnight when you become a first grader! 
 I want to be a ballet teacher and doctor when I grow up 
(She did say nurse and then changed it to doctor)
Kayla's big question the night before school was would she sit at a table again like in Kindergarten or would she would have her own desk. The answer? Her own desk! Just like a big student. She has her own folders, notebooks, binders, pencil box and text books. This is the real deal. It just hit me that I think show-n-tell is over, for good. This makes me sad. We had several great years of show-n-tell and now that fun is over and the real academics begin. I think there should always be show-n-tell!
They love their "monkey room". Mrs Raymo decorates in monkeys - it's an easy room to find! 

I'm SO excited for these girls! Kayla loves her teacher and has new and old friends in her class. I look forward to all the exciting opportunities and growth this year will bring! (Although not the nightly routine of making snacks and lunches, doing homework, picking out outfits, early bath and bedtimes, blah, blah.) Let the learning begin!

1 comment:

  1. My take-home lesson from this post: I need to teach Kayla about why nurses are better than doctors... more caring, more compassionate, actually spend time with the patients and make real impacts on their lives and recovery and well-being, better well-informed,...... that just gets me started. Take notes, Kayla!!! <3

    ReplyDelete