There's a quote out there that goes something like,
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days
Before you've actually left them.
Wow, such a heavy feeling of regret contained within those words. So many precious moments that were allowed to casually slip into darkness. How sad if we let those words be true in our lives.
Not here! I know we're living the good ol' days! I breathe it and live it every day. I have my youth, my health, my energy. I have a job I love, a wonderful husband and father to my girls, and the memories of today. These are all things that are not promised to us tomorrow.
These are the good ol' days.
Because I have two little girls that,
Love to be around me
Like to hold my hand
Want me to kiss their boo-boo's
Like lots of hugs and kisses when we say good-bye
Want to sit on my lap
Love lots of long cuddles in bed
Want help with their shoes. Their shirts. Their bath. Their coats. Their drinks. Their toys.
Want to be like me.
These are the good ol' days.
Because these are the days when,
The day's toughest problem is losing a pet fish
A drink of water can take away the tears
Turning everything into a song is standard and being silly is expected
Playing chase in the house is all we need to end up piled on the floor laughing
A penny ride on the Meijer horse is bribery enough for good behavior
Birthday and Christmas shopping are easy, and cheap
Bath time with your sister is fun
Babysitters are cool, and so are Grandpa and Grandma
These are the good ol' days.
I can hold you on my lap on the floor, rocking back and forth, stroking your hair and humming a song and the world's problems melt away, for both of us.
These are the good ol' days and I'm holding on to them tightly! I don't want them to slip through my fingers! So today I play harder, laugh more, hug tighter, gaze deeper, sing louder, run faster, skip higher, spin faster, cuddle longer, love deeper.
These are the good ol' days. Tonight. Tomorrow. The day after. And the day after that. I will not let these good ol' days go.



No comments:
Post a Comment