December 18, 2013

Cherry, Oh Cherry

I haven’t posted anything about Cherry yet and I’m not really into posting pictures of our elf either. She did return this year (even a few days early!), her 4th year to our home (Really? Have we had a relationship for this long? Wow!), and the girls enjoy the thrill of searching her out together each morning. I do have a funny – well, depends on who you ask – story to share about Cherry’s latest escapade. I share because one day the girls will find it humorous to read this.

There was an elf crisis narrowly averted in our house.

Cherry was found zip lining across the living room one morning, but tragically later in the day, she fell. How does a magic elf who's living is to fly just lay face down on the floor without moving? DREADFUL. Kayla was concerned, puzzled and cautious. Khloe did what any helpful little kid would and picked up Cherry TO THE COMPLETE HORROR of Kayla whose gasp was so loud it could be heard down the street I'm sure. (If you’re familiar with the Elf on the Shelf story, you know that touching your elf is strictly forbidden). Scene: Kayla in distress and shock, Khloe in tears, and me trying SO hard not to laugh out loud that I had to turn my back! I had some serious elf damage control to do, and fast. I’m positive it took Kayla a solid two minutes before she picked her jaw up from off the ground. Somehow I talked my way through it, but not without a million questions from Kayla and tears from Khloe for touching Cherry. Yes, the elf magic was almost gone forever in our house.

Cherry is fun (well for 50% of us) and one day this gimmick will be over, but the REAL truth of Christmas won’t. Long before Cherry arrived and long after Cherry is gone, there is someone constantly watching our behavior, hoping we make good choices, and do our best to love others. Jesus is the REAL PERSON we should be seeking to please. We need to always remember that instead of being good to get lots of presents under the tree, we should strive to do good in order to glorify our Heavenly Father. Thanks to my cousin Jenn for this powerful reminder!

Merry Christmas!!!!
 Here is Khloe getting dangerously close to Cherry, without touching her. She wanted to get some of the sprinkles Cherry made a mess of on the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment