Only a parent would think to share a potty moment. Only a parent could be proud of a potty moment.
Just a few hours ago I would've told you that Khloe would be (hopefully) potty trained four months from now. Now, I've got a different story to tell.
We have been trying to potty train Khloe for a while now. Off and on at least. (See Nov 21 post). The new princess underwear worked for a bit. The sucker bribery also worked for a bit, but then she was over it. We haven't picked it back up, until now. It's just time. She's old enough. She knows better. She's smart enough. She's in a big girl gymnastics class. She's almost three. We're tired of diapers and wipes. Let's just move on to underwear already.
Our secret weapon? RASPBERRY TORTE. Khloe loves Strawberry Shortcake and got all five dolls for Christmas. All except Raspberry Torte and she's been asking for her. So we decided to purchase her but leave her unopened sitting on the counter until she decided she wanted to go potty like a big girl. She asks to open Raspberry Torte several times a day. She's taunting us, testing us. She knows better.
We THOUGHT that Raspberry Torte was the secret weapon. Turns out, not so much. The doll's been sitting on the counter for over a week and Khloe refuses to give in and sit on the potty. So we added a brightly colored Sucker Tree - a fun bucket stuck full of suckers! Who wouldn't like that?! If Khloe goes potty, then everyone gets a sucker! (Meant to get Kayla and Addison involved and excited about the process). If Khloe didn't go potty, then no one gets a sucker. I'm using peer pressure from Kayla and Addison to persuade her! I brainstormed other solutions; I was not above complete bribery with piles of toys, wrapped up in wrapping paper, some unwrapped, whatever it took. If she wanted the gifts, she would know what to do. We weren't going to push her. If it happened, hallelujah. If not, well... it would someday.
A few nights ago Kayla and Khloe hung out in the bathroom together for a long time, laughing, screaming, playing all while Khloe sat on the potty. Sure enough, Khloe went potty. She got a sticker on her chart, earning her way to Raspberry Torte, and a sucker! And Kayla got a sucker too! We were on our way...
Turns out we have a new secret weapon: Kayla. The winning formula = Kayla + Us ignoring Khloe. Kayla, forever Khloe's coach and cheerleader, said, "Khloe let's go potty! I'll go first. If I go then you have to go too. Pinky promise?" And they pinky-promised. Out of the blue, I'm emptying the dishwasher, and I hear Khloe yell, "Kuh-luh! Hurry! Hurry! My poopy's coming out!" (Sorry for the graphic nature). And sure enough, there was Khloe going potty all by herself. No announcement. No warning. No help. No nothing. We told Kayla she's now in charge of potty training Khloe and we'll just stay out of it. Kayla is key to the winning formula. Kayla sure loves her sister, and Khloe sure loves her sister.
I'm putting out a news release for all parents: If you're in need of a potty-trainer, we have a certain 6.5 year old over here who is in charge and knows what she's doing. She's available if you need her. Apparently I know nothing. Will Raspberry Torte be opened soon????? Stay tuned to find out! (All fingers on both hands double crossed!)
No comments:
Post a Comment