A Daddy will shape how a little girl creates future relationships with boys in her life. I should know. I was once a little girl with a big, strong, funny, confident, loving Daddy. He created a wonderful environment for me growing up and showed me how a girl should be loved and respected. This Valentines, Kayla got to go on her first date with her first true love, her Daddy. I was happy to share my Valentine with another one of my Valentines!
On Monday, Aaron wrote Kayla a note (her first love note! I'm saving it forever!) asking her to go on a Daddy-Daughter date with him. She immediately checked the "yes" box, wrote "I love you" on it and hung the note on the fridge where it stayed all week.
Kayla looked forward to her Daddy-Daughter date all week. We discussed the outfit she would wear, almost daily - a special new gold dress. Even Aaron wanted to make sure he coordinated to her dress. Aaron and I decided that they should go to a restaurant that wouldn't be too packed with couples on formal dates, where a reservation wouldn't be needed and wouldn't have a special menu. The perfect place to take a 6 year old is... Garfields! Yes, it's in the mall, but the restaurant has paper on the tables that you can color on! and there's a candy store around the corner that was going to be a stop on the date. Sounds like a perfect evening to me!
Finally Valentines Day rolled around on Friday and Kayla asked me, "So, what's this 'date' thing all about?"
Me: Well, a date is about spending time with a person who is special to you. That's what people do that love each other, they spend time with each other and a date is a way to do that.
Kayla: So, what are we going to do?
Me: You're going to have fun! You'll draw pictures, play games, tell jokes, eat, say funny things, talk...
Kayla: What are we going to talk about?
Me: Oh I don't know. Whatever you want!
Kayla: Oh, okay!
Note the details of her outfit: she asked to borrow some of my jewelry because mine "is more special", so I let her borrow a strand of my pearls and she added her own ring. She even received a yellow rose wrist corsage from Daddy. She was in awe. She looks so pretty and beaming with happiness! What a lucky girl to have such a wonderful Daddy!
She'll always remember this first date. It was a success! Always Daddy's little girl. Happy Valentines Day to my three sweet Valentines!
No comments:
Post a Comment