July 17, 2013

Port Huron Parade

If there's one thing to be said about Port Huron, it's that it loves a parade. And us too. There's no doubt about that.
To prove that we are loyal die-hard Port Huron Parade fans, we went to the 6:30 p.m. parade with a heat index of 102 degrees. We really did. Throughout the day I got comments from friends like "You're out of your mind", and "You're crazy", and "You get Mom of the Year Award". And yes, all of those apply. As much as I didn't want to go, I wanted all of us to go, if that makes any sense. Grandma went through the trouble of setting out lawn chairs the night before on the shade side of the street (an area of high demand with hot humid weather!), Grandpa was in the parade, we had friends meeting us at our spot, so we just had to go. Luckily about an hour before parade time the clouds rolled in, which knocked the temperature down about 10 degrees, it actually sprinkled for a brief minute (which felt great), and we really enjoyed ourselves! I have to say it was one of the better parades I've seen!
 Prime seating spot and ready to go!
 Collecting waaaaay more candy than we'll ever need
The theme of this year's parade was "Disney" so Grandpa was the Mad Hatter on Port Huron Hospital's Alice in Wonderland float. That's a great costume! Hope you survived the heat in that!
 After 100 floats went by, we sat waiting for the Budweiser clydesdale horses to show up. They were supposed to be in the parade, and were one of the highlights (outside of Grandpa of course), but the parade ended, and no horses. We kept hearing "Don't leave! They're coming!" but almost 10 minutes later and after the crowd thinned out, they finally came through. Glad we held out. What a finale. Everyone cheered.
And yes, I'll take Mom of the Year Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment